Thursday, January 22, 2015

Paris (Hot) Dogs!

Heavy duty research on The New York hot dog in Paris has kept us busy at HQ PB

Bear and I were near moved to tears when we spotted Jeff Koons' dog at the musée Pompidou last week. Memories of New York hot dogs past came to mind in a whoosh of emotion and knocked us flat. The pursuit was on.

Head honcho of Serious Eats, Ed Levine picked Frenchie To Go for the best hot dog of  Paris and best taste of 2014. He waxes poetic..
'The hot dog in its brioche bun is a work of art, maybe not deserving a place in the permanent spot in the Louvre, but worthy of a gallery showing on the Left Bank for sure. I took a bite. The memory of Nathan's flooded back to me. It had that snap, the grind gave it a perfect, just chewy enough texture, it had been properly smoked, and the garlic and salt that seasoned the hot dog were perfectly proportioned. 
*And it even had a surprise, an innovation that US hot dog sellers should take note of: the housemade sauerkraut, redolent of juniper, was beneath the hot dog, nestled in the depths of the brioche bun. It was the hot dog equivalent of finding the surprise gift in the old boxes of Cracker Jacks.'
We went off for a dog. Is he talking about the same dog I ate? The bun was not soft. The mustard squiggles got on your hands while eating?!(and 8 euros!)
A classic Nathan has the sauerkraut piled high on top.
Croute underneath the dog is the French way 😳

One can see why the French are crazy for NYC!

Doesn’t the French éclair appear to be a relative? Having perfected eclairs, they are driven to perfect the other?

La Mosaique - Pat's Hot Dog 56 rue du Roi de Sicile Marais was buzzing last Saturday.

Is this Pat? I did not want to derangée to ask.

You put on the toppings yourself - Relish, hot peppers and tiny fried onions.

I got the 'Alsacien' not noticing it was a chicken dog. This tasted more like a REAL New York hot dog than Frenchie I have to say. Plus Pozzetta is across the street waiting with pistache gelato. What's not to love? The price is right too.

At Les Halles cinema I passed on the so-called Original New York dog. No kraut on offer.

Leonie's Deli is brand new, open just one month 67 rue d'Argout

Everything is bio.
I got the 'Bonnie and Clyde'
pain blanc - saucisse de Strasbourg
cheddar fermier - relish - oignons frits
moutarde douce / ketchup
Did they have any kraut?
No way. Too stinky they said. Hmmm.
Other options:
Paul et Virginie, Jeanne et Serge, Laurel et Hardy, Tristan et Iseult.

This shop LOVES hot dogs and does them proud. Their serving tray has a mission statement printed on it. You won't need a book here.

On to HUTCH 63 rue du Faubourg Saint Denis 75010

This place came the closest to fulfilling our dreams of the REAL New York dog. Their options are simple and right on. All for 4 euros.
Manhattan (cheddar)
Brooklyn (oignon confit)
Coney Island (chilli! a first in Paris)
New York(chou blanc!!)

And they didn't mind a bit putting the sauerkraut on top. Yahoo

Ze dog New Yorkaise parfait at Hutch wins Top Dog in Paris.
For a brief moment I thought I was back in New York.
Will a Sabrett hot dog cart please come to Paris!!
Now back to eclairs.

29 comments:

  1. OMG this went straight thru my heart to my tummy! I rarely eat hot dogs but if I do, nothing beats NY style Nathan's ... I have fond memories of this lunch on the run in a subway stop Nathan's. The oddest thing to me is the fondness Parisians have for this ... Your eclair comparison is brilliant and funny all at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny, but they insist on giving it their own twist to suit their aesthetics I guess.
      Viva la difference.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Who is Barbet? Do you mean Babar?
      That's an elephant...

      Delete
  3. I never eat them..unless we are in FL and our 3 little boys want some..and dare I say..they are so good on the BBQ..So I eat one..every 365 days...or 366.
    I was tempted by a hot dog steamer here just for them:)

    I bought a Paddington Bear CD and Special Edition book for Noah today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not an every week thing for me either Monique. More the power of suggestion and how one thing leads to another.

      Delete
  4. Annabel5:45 PM

    A lot of attention to detail here when you think most US hot dog joints have just a plain dog for sale without all the fancy trimmings and decorations.
    The French!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georgia5:48 PM

    I love the occasional summer hot dog but I wouldn't be thinking Hot Dogs when in Paris.. Leave it to the French.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm dying for one now! You sure made them look good :)
    Love that last shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.
      I really, really miss those Sabret hot dog guys in Paris.
      Something about their fortitude staying out there is all kinds of weather trying to make a buck.
      Touching..

      Delete
  7. You're like a dog with a bone...no pun intended,but I cn just see you 'researching' Paris hot dogs just the way you do a macaron etc.
    Really fun and funny
    Luv ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buster approves of your diligent research....a very worthy project and so beautifully presented.
    I'm glad you are well and out and about.
    So sad about the Charlie Hebdou attack but I do feel the Euros take these things more in stride than in the US where panic is fanned by the media - rather than community and getting on with whatever is.
    Sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very strange but I was just thinking about hot dogs this morning! Great minds think alike! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hot dog stand at le chateau!
      What could be more purfect!

      Delete
  10. Wow, you really are a wealth of inside information. Hot dogs: Who'd-a thunk it? I was delighted with the tour of French hot doggism, but then you showed the menu at Leonie's Deli: "Pain Bun". Never mind the redundancy -- the word "bun" has arrived in Paris!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda G10:19 AM

    Last photo would make a lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane P10:30 AM

    Loved your hot dog posting. Thought I would share this with you from New Orleans!

    You know the N O Saints cheer is Who Dat!!!

    http://datdognola.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I moved to the WRONG town.
      NOLA here I come!!
      Big Merci

      Delete
  13. Anonymous10:45 AM

    I got a chuckle out of "Pat" the hot dog server, she is the epitome of French beauty and Chic. Is she there for a demonstration, I can't believe she sells hot dogs for her career-she looks more the Lady of a French Chateau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure sne was the patron. No monkey business from her. Strictly all dog oriented.

      Delete
  14. you will notice, though, that all the French aficianados of the hot dog are younger people; older ones

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving this post.....
    .,...so much fun..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathryn12:21 PM

    What fun! I'm off to Wasses hot dog stand in Rockland!
    And Kraut dogs, too! Voted best hot dogs in Maine.


    I grew up with Charlie's in Centredale, RI. The "hot wiener' experience. Charlie would line about 8 dogs up his arm to dress them with meat sauce. No one ever got less than two! You also left with an aroma that did not leave your person for several hours. Everyone knew where you had been.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it, though I've switched to bratwurst rather than hot dogs (except for the ocassional hot dog when in Chicago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat's had a CHICAGO DOG!
      I'd no idea... Must go back to try
      Like chicago Pizza?

      Delete
  18. I'm surprised they call it "hot dog" and not chaud chien (or something similar -- I might have the words wrong.) I'm a sucker for a good hot dog. And if you can add coleslaw to it, all the better. But I loved all your spots and your drawing is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats part of the charm.
      A cupcake was never a tasse de gateau
      One place calls them House of Hot Dogs even
      Should be Hot Dog House maybe...

      Delete
  19. I get the Costco Polish Dog~ you add your own sauerkraut (they give it to you on the side) and apply pickle relish and chopped onion from a hand grinder machine (some effort) with a choice of brown or yellow mustard~ another lever to push. Costco throws in the
    soda (and one refill) for free. $2.50. Because we have a membership, I call it lunch

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you